… But you have no idea who I am.
I came across this image a couple of years ago, and it was one of those light-bulb moments. Epiphany is such a life changing experience most of the time. It was evident and crystal clear that I was surrounded by people who could recognize the me they saw every day. Yet, these same people had no recognition at all that their perspective was shallow, inept, and clueless of who I am. The stark light of revelation was so bright I was blinded momentarily by this truth.
I was described and recognized by those attributes often listed in obituaries: dad, brother, son, husband, father, pastor, teacher, friend. All these characteristics were indeed definitions of the parts of me which people recognized through observation, and each through their own filtered relationship to me. 95% of the people in my life 2 years ago were looking at the top 10% of the iceberg, representing me. Their perspectives were skewed by their relationship to me, which resulted in their inability to recognize the other 90% of me.
The 5% of people who recognized me were those who took the time to dialogue in meaningful ways, or spend time with me in activities which allowed them to view me through more than just one filtered lens. There were a couple of people who knew me pretty much all the way to the core of my existence; the deepest parts of me. And there were others who made extreme judgments about me. Because who they thought I was at those deep levels, were determined by preconceived assumptions of their choosing, not because they wanted to know the me I really am.
The result was a Titanic-like collision. Parts of me below the surface were indescribably fractured by the impact. While above the surface, life all around me was suddenly filled with the debris of broken relationships. It was as if almost nobody I knew recognized me. There were parts of me they either refused to accept, blindly ignored, or had no interest in knowing. Don’t feel sorry for me, there are millions today going through exactly the same thing, and you may be one of them. I survived. You can too.
Now, imagine we’re not talking about me anymore. Imagine this graphic represents the Creator of the universe. Many people “say” they believe in God. Folks often confess to know Jesus Christ. However, let me suggest you see this message as if it comes from God. Through this image He is saying: those things you seem to think allow you to “recognize” God are just the tip of the iceberg. It’s my humble opinion, that there are things we have no idea about, when it comes to God. Much of God’s nature, character, and will, are hidden in the layers of the deep, beyond our visible capabilities. We must search for this truth with all our hearts. We will be rewarded if we do. If we want to know God, we can, but it takes a lot of work.
You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.
I believe going forward from right now, God will go to exorbitant extremes to get His people, people of faith, to know Him deeper, recognize His handiwork, and trust in His grace more than ever before. Our world is headed on a direct collision course with the Creator of the universe. Those who recognize this, will be prepared. Those who don’t… well, think: Titanic… on a galactic scale.