Daily Post: Inhabit
Fake news, contemptuous politics, leftist liberal media, activists mentality of the third estate, historically illiterate revisionists, sabers rattling across the ocean, and the ocean itself rising up, about to attack our coast… these are perilous times.
One of the course studies that made up my bachelor’s degree in college was on the Civil War in America (1861-1865). I was reminded of this today, from a Facebook post regarding Robert E. Lee. This photo captures Lee’s statue being removed in New Orleans May 20, 2017.
Here are a few salient facts conveniently overlooked in the tirade of activism today in America:
- Robert E. Lee was married to George Washington’s granddaughter, and Washington was a huge influence on the man.
- He was a decorated war hero from the Mexican-American war.
- He believed slavery was evil and his wife taught slaves to read and write
- After the civil war Lee became popular in the norther states and the Barracks at West Point were named in his honor in 1962.
- Lee was disturbed about the prospect of the South leaving the Union, yet ultimately he believed States rights trumped Federal government and chose to lead the Southern army
- This same federal government demanded Lee pay taxes on his estate in Arlington, near Washington D.C., demanding that Lee himself show up in person to pay the taxes.
- When he could not do this, the government began burying dead Union soldiers on his land, and is still doing so today. It is called Arlington National Cemetery.
Does it make me a racists because I question the motives of those who are acting in this reprehensible way? One opponent of my suggesting they are attempting to erase history has said, “We’re always going to know who Robert E Lee is. The question is where these monuments are. The public sphere should be comfortable for everybody.”
What’s next? Removing the statues of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson? What has gotten into these people? And after these political icons are destroyed, then what? Can the religious freedom of having a cross on the top of a church be next? There are churches in America today which have already conceded to make their places of worship more public “friendly” or “comfortable” by removing the cross both inside and out.
When darkness inhabits the mind of those who lead, can anything other than darkness be the ultimate result of their influence?
When hatred, anger, and contempt fueled by self-deluded minds, are the only words that resonate in the political arena, or the coffee shop down the street, what else could possibly be on our horizon but darkness and death?
What has gotten into us? Where do we turn? What is the answer?
2 Chronicles 7:14
… and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
There is no other answer for a true Christ-follower.
Photo By Infrogmation of New Orleans – Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=59237773
If you liked this blog post feel free to share it with your friends. I’d love to hear your thoughts.